This week, your child learned about God creating the world from Genesis 1:1-25. The true story of the Bible begins where we would expect it to begin—at the beginning of all creation. Everything in the universe has a starting point except God. He alone is eternal—He has no beginning and no end. He has always existed. So the beginning in this week’s Bible story is the beginning from our perspective. It is humanity’s beginning.
You might notice that the Bible story stops a little earlier than you might be used to—before God created Adam and Eve. That happened on Day 6, along with the animals of the earth, but it is not included here because that will be covered next week in much more detail.
Instead, during this week, be sure to emphasize three things:
First, that God created everything from nothing. God did not create like we do—by taking some raw materials like clay and making a beautiful sculpture. Instead, God made everything that exists—everything we see and even that we don’t see—simply by speaking it into existence from nothing. That’s important because it teaches us that everything belongs to God because He made it all and also how powerful He is to be able to create the universe by speaking it into being.
Second, that God created everything with order. Not only do we see that God created the different kinds of plants and trees as well as animals according to their different kinds, but we also see an orderly pattern in the days of creation. God created by separating things on days 1-3 (light from darkness; sky from water; and then land from oceans) and then He filled what He had created on days 4-6 (the stars, sun, and moon in the heavens; birds and fish in the sky and waters; animals on the land).
Third, that God created everything for a reason—to bring Himself glory. We will talk a lot more about this during the next few weeks, and all of our study through Scripture. But for now help your child see that everything exists to show how good God is—to show His glory for all to see.
Check out The Gospel Project At Home for resources designed to help you lead a family worship experience as well as suggestions for morning and evening prayer times and family activities.
FAMILY TALKING POINTS
This is the big idea of how this week’s Bible story points to Jesus.
- Babies & Toddlers: Jesus makes everything work.
- Younger Preschool: The Bible says everything was created by God and for God and that Jesus makes it all work. Everything shows how good God is!
- Older Preschool: Jesus is Lord over everything. The Bible says everything was created by Him and for Him. Jesus holds everything together and everything brings God glory.
- Kids: Jesus is Lord over all of creation. The Son has always existed. The Bible says everything was created by Him and for Him, and He holds everything together. All of creation exists to bring God glory.
BIG PICTURE QUESTION & ANSWER
This is an important biblical truth that your child will encounter each week of this unit.
- Younger Preschool: Why did God create everything? God created everything to show He is great.
- Older Preschool: Why did God create everything? God created everything for His glory.
- Kids: Why did God create everything? God created everything for His glory and our good.
This is a Bible verse that relates to what your child will encounter each week of this unit.
- Babies & Toddlers:The heavens show God is great! — Psalm 19:1
- Younger Preschool: The heavens show God is great! — Psalm 19:1
- Older Preschool: The heavens declare the glory of God, and the expanse proclaims the work of his hands. — Psalm 19:1
- Kids: The heavens declare the glory of God, and the expanse proclaims the work of his hands. — Psalm 19:1
** Next week: God Created People (Genesis 1–2)